Thursday, November 12, 2009

HomeMade Ricotta Cheese



I was once complaing to Deeba ( as usual ) from Passionate about Baking , about not finding ricotta cheese in enough quantities to make desserts and salads that I find all over my cookbooks and over the foodie blogs.. she told me about a treasure.. that I can make ricotta cheese at home with very easy ingredients.. the result : a super creamy sweet ricotta cheese made by me!



Homemade Ricotta CheeseRecipe

Ingredients:
2 quarts whole milk
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
Optional: 1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt


Method:

In a large pot, bring the milk, yogurt, heavy cream (if using), vinegar, and salt to a boil. Very gently boil for one to two minutes, until the milk is curdled.Meanwhile, line a strainer with a few layers of cheesecloth and set it over a deep bowl.Pour the milk mixture into the strainer and let drain for 15 minutes. Gather the cheesecloth around the curds and squeeze gently to extract any excess liquid.Storage: Homemade ricotta is best served slightly warm, although it can be refrigerated for up to three days, if desired.Makes 2 cups.

here I mixed the sweet cheese with mint and cherry tomatoes , drizzled with olive oil , salt and pepper for a quick snack! So Aromatic!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

You make it sound so easy! Deeba has been after me to make my own ricotta and mascarpone. I'll bet it tastes divine!

Deeba PAB said...

Yay for you B. Glad you made it. I love making both ricotta & mascarpone. Quark too. Love how you tossed the salad. YUM!! Anytime dahling, the shoulders all yours!!

koralee said...

Thank you for the comment you left on my blog....wow...I am so impressed! I never really even thought about making your own ricotta cheese. I think I may just have to try it! Your images look amazing!

Deanna said...

Wow, thanks for the recipe!! I'm fixin' to make a lasagna for a party this weekend and I think that homemade ricotta would add something extra special.

Duchess of Tea said...

Hello darling and thank you for visiting my cottage, for joining my followers and for leaving kind words behind, much appreciated. You have a lovely blog full of interesting posts and beautiful photos. I too joined your followers and placed a link to your blog on my beau-TEA-ful friends blog. I am looking forward to taking tea with you soon.

Love & hugs
Duchess